non-const copy ctor

Christian Fröbel cfroebel@web.de
Sat Apr 8 02:09:00 GMT 2006

Hi John,

John Love-Jensen wrote:
> [...]
> In C++, a copy constructor is a const reference.

Hmm, I would say *usually* it is a const reference.-- But eventually it is
not, like in my case or in the case of std::auto_ptr. Of course you could say
this isn't a copy constructor because it doesn't take a const reference. But
I think it is anyway because it still has the semantic of a copy operation.

Anyway, I need to have a constructor taking a non-const reference which g++
doesn't allow. And I still don't know why g++ is acting this way here and how
to work around it.

Yours,
  Christian