stdio.h: File not found?!?

Martin Krischik krischik@users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 6 08:26:00 GMT 2006

Quoting Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net>:

> Martin Krischik wrote:
>
>> And that is strange in the sense that according to ISO
>> 9899:1999(7.19) stdio.h
>> a part of the of a propper C compiler and therfore the compiler sources
>> should come with suitable stdio.h. So where is it?
>
> That's not how it works.  GCC does not provide a C library, it is just a
> compiler.  The two are completely separate.  If you are building a mingw
> cross compiler I advise that you look on the mingw wiki for example
> scripts that take care of this.  If you want to do it by hand you'll
> need to download and install the headers and import libraries (packages
> mingw-runtime and w32api) first before you build the compiler.

I did not expect to need a mingw-runtime before the 2nd step (creating
a --build=x86_64-suse-linux --host=mingw --target=mingw compiler) -
see below.

>> Of corse: since it is a --build=x86_64-suse-linux --host=x86_64-suse-linux
>> compile using  /usr/include/stdio.h should be ok as well. Or did I miss read
>> the cross compile instructions completely?
>
> That stdio.h is for native compilation, it will do you no good when
> doing cross compilation to a completely separate target (like mingw.)

You see me confused. I thought that a "--build=x86_64-suse-linux
--host=x86_64-suse-linux" compiler is to run under Linux - what does
is need a MinGW runtime so soon? - I am only trying to create the
cross-compiler itself - I am not yet trying to create any MinGW
binaries with it.

Martin