signal 11 when compiling gcc

Mike Stevenson Michael.Stevenson@noaa.gov
Mon Apr 3 20:36:00 GMT 2006

Hi.  The version of gcc on the servers here (sparc ultra 60s running
solaris 8) is woefully outdated (2.95.3), and I've been trying to
upgrade it to the new 4.1.0.  The configure script runs fine, and make
bootstrap goes for a good 10 minutes or so before things fall apart.
When trying to compile /gcc/dwarf2out.c, i get "gcc: Internal compiler
error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11."  What I've read implies that
this is generally a hardware problem, so I tried again on another server
(same configuration) and got the same result at the same place, which
makes me think that maybe it isn't.  I've tried compiling a few versions
between 2.95.3 and 4.1.0 and they all dump core at some point.
The machines have Sun WorkShop Compiler C 5.0.  Can this successfully
build gcc, and if so is there any way I can force it to be used?  I
tried setting the CC environment variable to its location, but it still
wanted to use gcc in the makefile.  If not, can anyone direct me to a
binary of gcc I can use?  I found one at sunfreeware.com, but the d/l
was ridiculously slow and would have taken several days (really).  Any
help will be appreciated.  Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Mike