cross GCC from cygwin to AIX5.1: is there a way for runtime libs

JeanNo Helal (spectre) jeanno.helal@wanadoo.fr
Sat Sep 24 12:38:00 GMT 2005


Hi every body

I have a software application runing under LINUX and Windows including a 
shared library that have to run on an IBM AIX5.1 target. It is currently 
compiled with GCC 3.3 for all UNIX ports and I was able to build the shared 
lib for AIX 5.1 by using GCC 3.3.2 on the AIX 5.1 host machine (native 
build).

Now  I would like maintain code source from a PC cygwin based machine. Hence 
I tried to build a GCC 3.3.6 cross compiler from i686-pc-cygwin to 
powerpc-ibm-aix5.1 (I built binutils 2.14 for the same cross configuration 
first without problem) . I had the following main problems:

1) some directory do not provide this cross compilation configuration 
(i868-pc-cygwin to powerpc-ibm-aix5.1). This results in that stdlibc++V3 
(and V2 with gcc 2.95.3) cannot be generated on my host machine. However gcc 
directory CAN be built (GCC 3.3.6).

2) gcc cross build scripts mentioned that 'powerpc-ibm-aix5.1-ld' is known 
to non reliabily generate shared librairies, however binutil 2.14 do not 
mentionned this problem during the build.

I have also tried several other GCC version (gcc 2.95.3, 3.3.x, 3.4.x and 
4.0.1) with the same result.

Of course i tried first the crosstool from Dan Kegel but this time it 
didn'nt worked for me because glibc build is not supported for my cross 
configuration.

Since I have installed a 'powerpc-ibm-aix5.1-g++' v3.3.6 that seems to work 
on my cygwin host but for compilation only.....does anybody could help me 
for having a full generation tool.

1) Is it possible to get the required AIX5.1 gcc run time libs (maybe in 
binary if it is true that gcc do not support this cross build)  how can i 
install it 'by hand' ?

2) Is it true LD is not reliable for this cross compilation configuration 
whereas binutils 2.14 built without mentioning any problem (and actually 
allows to build a compiler) ?

3) If so is there somewhere another usable linker for AIX5.1 target that 
could live with the GCC on my cygwin host ?

Thanks & Regards

J.N. Helal




More information about the Gcc-help mailing list