387 numerical instability

Neil Ferguson nferguso@eso.org
Mon Nov 7 18:51:00 GMT 2005

Whilst reading the GCC man page documentation for the -mfpmath option, I came
across this sentence for -mfpmath=sse:

> The resulting code should be considerably faster in the major-
> ity of cases and avoid the numerical instability problems of
> 387 code, but may break some existing code that expects tempo-
> raries to be 80bit.

Can someone point me to a description of these "numerical instability problems
of 387 code", please?

I've searched the GCC site & mailing lists, and I've searched with Google, but
I can't find anything that details the particular concerns that led to this
note in the manual. All I can find is a list message containing the patch that
put it into the man page.

GCC is version 3.3.5 on this system.

Neil.