How to configure for ARM native compiler.

Venkat Narayana venkatnarayana.k@gmail.com
Fri May 6 17:30:00 GMT 2005


Why can't I build gcc with ARM tools ?
It's compiler is also  similar to that of other compilers.Is
ther e any reason why we can't do so ?

Thanks,
Venkat.

On 5/6/05, Khem Raj <kraj@mvista.com> wrote:
> You  are trying to use ARM RVCT linker and assembler as backend to gcc which
> is not going to work. The assembly syntax is quite different. So the
> assembly output generated by gcc can not be consumed by RVCT assembler.
> 
> Btw. I am not sure if you can use ARM tools to build gcc.
> 
> HTH
> 
> Khem
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org [mailto:gcc-help-owner@gcc.gnu.org] On
> Behalf Of Venkat Narayana
> Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 10:22 PM
> To: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
> Subject: How to configure for ARM native compiler.
> 
> Hi ,
> 
>       I am trying to build a Native compiler for ARM. I will use the
> compiler  on ARM target to generate ARM  target .
> 
>  I tried below  syntax to configure the GCC  on linux os.
> 
>  ../gcc-3.4.2/configure --enable-languages=c,c++ --target=arm-elf
> --host=arm-linux
> --with-as=../../root/ARM_builds/dist_118_linux-pentium/RVCT/Programs/2.2/453
> /linux-pentium/armasm
> --with-ld=../../root/ARM_builds/dist_118_linux-pentium/RVCT/Programs/2.2/453
> /linux-pentium/armlink
> --with-cpu-ARM --build=i386-redhat-linux
> 
> But i am getting error when trying to bootstrap it.
> I gave command "make bootstrap ".It is giving error as
> 
> guessing bigendian ...
> unknown
> configure: error: unknown endianess - sorry
> /root/venkat/gcc-3.4.2/libiberty/configure: line 3289: exit: please:
> numeric argument required
> /root/venkat/gcc-3.4.2/libiberty/configure: line 3289: exit: please:
> numeric argument required
> make: *** [configure-libiberty] Error 1
> 
> So where in configure, i need to specify the endianness...
> 
> MAny Thanks,
> Venkat.
> 
>



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list