./genmodes: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected => whilebuilding gcc3.4.2

Saurabh.Bhatnagar@blr.hexaware.com Saurabh.Bhatnagar@blr.hexaware.com
Fri May 6 03:38:00 GMT 2005

Hi Nix

I am able to build GCC 3.2.3 by creating an objdir in the GCC-3.2.3 dir.
Running ../configure .
I was able to build GCCv3.4.2 earlier on another sun machine with SUN5.8
but different hardware.
Thanks for your suggestion, I will try it when I get my next break.

warm regards
Saurabh

Nix <nix@esperi.org.uk>
05/05/2005 06:21 PM

Saurabh.Bhatnagar@blr.hexaware.com
cc
"gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject
Re: ./genmodes: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected => whilebuilding
gcc3.4.2

On 5 May 2005, Saurabh Bhatnagar uttered the following:
> ./genmodes: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
> gmake[2]: *** [s-modes] Error 2
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/user/sbhatnag/gcc-3.4.2/objdir/gcc'
> gmake[1]: *** [stage2_build] Error 2
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/user/sbhatnag/gcc-3.4.2/objdir/gcc'
> gmake: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Please read the installation guide. You cannot build GCC in an
objdir that is a subdirectory of the GCC source tree: you must
build it in a parallel directory (e.g. /user/sbhatnag/gcc-build,
running configure via a relative path, as ../gcc-3.4.2/configure).

This has been true pretty much forever (certainly since gcc-2.7.2).

(I don't know if this is causing your problem, but I've seen *exactly*
that error when generating with an objdir as a subdirectory of the
GCC source tree before.)

--
`End users are just test loads for verifying that the system works, kind
of