"relocation R_X86_64_32 againa a local symbol" error

Toon Knapen toon.knapen@fft.be
Tue May 3 16:12:00 GMT 2005

I know that this 'problem with gcc on amd64' has been reported multiple
times on the net but I actually never found detailed info on what is
actually going wrong here and why the problem is only on 64bit. I also
want to understand what is actually happening and thus how to avoid
(possible) problems in the future.

I also for instance tried a small test-case where I link a static
library, compiled without the -fPIC option, into a dynamic library. But
I do not get any error when linking this on an opteron although I would
have expected it.

I would be very gratefull if anybody can point me to some webpage with
detailed info (I found plenty of discussions where it was advised to use
the -fPIC option but nothing more)

thanks in advance,

toon

--
Check out our training program on acoustics
and register on-line at http://www.fft.be/?id=35