What can cause a "Memory fault"
Ian Lance Taylor
ian@airs.com
Tue Mar 29 21:12:00 GMT 2005
Hamilton Chris-cham <chris.hamilton@freescale.com> writes:
> I haven't read a lot about bad RAM, but I had the impression that if
> you had bad RAM, your failures wouldn't be so predictable. In my
> case, the failure happens predictably at the same spot every time
> (assuming I don't change the configuration).
I agree that that seems less likely to be a RAM problem, although it
is certainly still possible.
> How can I prove whether this is a memory problem?
Run a memory tester, such as http://www.memtest86.com/ I don't know
whether that will work on an x86-64 platform, but it may. Or AMD may
provide one with the system.
But first see if you can run the failing command manually, and have it
fail in the same way. If you can, add -xv options to ksh to see
precisely which command is failing. That may help.
Ian
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list