Problem with delete[] in class destructor (with files attached!)
Nicolas Wack
nwack@iua.upf.es
Tue Mar 22 16:33:00 GMT 2005
Ok, thanks a lot for your time, that answers pretty much all of my doubts.
I guess I'll try to spank my heap manager to see if it's obeying me now
:) !!
Nicolas.
Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
>
>>why does the memory actually gets returned to the system and the heap shrinks if I use the 2nd program I sent? why does it get returned to the system when I use these 2 programs? (files attached)
>
>
> You are at the mercy of the heap manager.
>
> That behavior can vary from platform-to-platform.
>
>
>>is there a way for a program to yield to the system the free memory it has in the heap? (or for the system to reclaim it?)
>
>
> Only if the heap manager provides a mechanism for your program to interact act with. (Any such mechanism would be non-standard.)
>
> The general answers to the questions are: no, and no. You are at the mercy of the heap manager.
>
> HTH,
> --Eljay
>
>
>
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list