libtool + gcc

Alex Stade alex@trdlnk.com
Mon Mar 28 20:48:00 GMT 2005


Hi,

This is my first post to the list and I will admit upfront that I am not 
an expert on gcc in any way. So if you see faulty reasoning on my part, 
feel free to point that out.

I have run into a problem with libtool and gcc (on Solaris). Libtool is 
querying gcc for locations to certain shared library files, such as 
'libstdc++.so.5' and does so by asking gcc with the '-print-file-name' 
option. For me, gcc replies;

$ gcc -print-file-name=libstdc++.so.5
/opt/lang/gcc-3.3.2/lib/gcc-lib/i386-pc-solaris2.8/3.3.2/../../../libstdc++.so.5

And then proceeds to link in, directly, that full path. Resulting in a 
binary which will not look in any other dir for 'libstdc++.so.5', 
regardless what I set my -R linker options to.

Per the manual, it seems that gcc, absent a -B option, searches 
'/usr/lib/gcc', then '/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib' and finally asks my shell 
where 'gcc' may be invoked and assembles the path name from there.

Is there a way I can instruct gcc to search a custom path for 
'libstdc++.so.5' with the specs file or anything like that? My goal is 
to relocate the stub libraries to more convenient places (of my 
choosing), without having to use a -B option. Specifically in such a way 
that gcc reports the path to this library with the '-print-file-name' so 
that libtool may operate the way it wants to.

Thanks in advance!

-Alex



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list