Internal error: Segmentation fault (program cc1plus)

Marc Oude Kotte moudekotte@khaeon.nl
Fri Mar 25 18:50:00 GMT 2005

I'm new to this list so I hope I'm posting this on the right list :)

I'm a programmer for a gaming company in The Netherlands, working with
the Unreal Engine which we've licensed. I've succesfully compiled the
engine with (GCC) 3.3.4 20040817 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.4-2) on a Fedora
Core 3 box, but it's painstaking slow: it takes about 1,5 hours to
compile the engine from scratch (compared to 8 minutes in VC++ .NET
2003).

Since gcc 3.4 has precompiled header support - which should decrease the
compile time with gcc dramatically - I'm trying to compile it with (GCC)
3.4.3 20050227 (Red Hat 3.4.3-22.fc3) which is the latest version of gcc
yum can give me. But half-way through gcc crashes. Unfortunately I
cannot supply much more information or a full source bug report, as it's
licensed code I cannot distribute freely.

I've constructed a buildsystem using autoconf/automake. What follows is
the output with only a small amount of error details:

g++ <large amounts of defines> -fshort-wchar -ffast-math
-fexpensive-optimizations -fsigned-char -pipe <large amounts of include
directories> -g -O2 -MT AFileLog.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/AFileLog.Tpo -c
AFileLog.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/AFileLog.o
g++: Internal error: Segmentation fault (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report.
See <URL:http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla> for instructions.

Can you guys give me some hints/tips on what I might do to prevent gcc
from crashing? The output above is the result of trying to compile a
source file, but when I try to compile a precompiled header gcc crashes
with the exact same message.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bye,
  Marc