newbie gfortran question

Kamaraju Kusumanchi kk288@cornell.edu
Sun Jun 19 00:42:00 GMT 2005


Jeff Tibbitt wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I recently downloaded the gfortran compiler for my new 
>ibook with OSX 10.3.5
>
>I tried compiling a simple fortran program named hello.f90
>
>
>
>The command I issued was:
>
>gfortran -o a.out hello.f90
>
>
>
>The error I get is:
>
>Claws-Computer:~/test/practice Claw$ gfortran -o a.out 
>hello.f90
>/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt1.o
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>  
>
This is linker error. You need to make sure that libctrl.o is in your path.

A simple solution is to use the -static option and see if it works.

gfortran -static hello.f90 -o a.out

>When I compile using the -c flag to produce an object file, 
>it works.  Then when I try to make the executable the same 
>error happens.
>  
>
-c option just compiles it to object file. Where as producing executable 
involves linking the object files.

>Im pretty new at fortran and Mac, and could really use a 
>suggestion.
>  
>
In the future, you might get a better/quicker help if you post questions 
related to gfortran on their mailing list fortran@gcc.gnu.org (google 
for instructions on how to subscribe to it) instead of gcc-help.

raju

-- 
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Graduate Student, MAE
Cornell University
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list