gcc v3.4.4; templates and compile errors
Magyar, Thomas J. CIV NAVAIR
thomas.magyar@navy.mil
Fri Jun 24 14:15:00 GMT 2005
I have found the fix to this compiler error! I re-read the email sent by Corey once again this morning and found that I missed placing the 1st 'typename' at the beginning of the line. I had only put in the 2nd one, which resulted in an internal compiler error (see my previous reply).
Once I added that one, I got back to getting compiler errors that I could process through. It turns out that the line will get past the compiler with no warnings if it looks like below (with the 'template' keyword added):
typename SAX::basic_XMLReader<stringT>::template Property<typename SAX::basic_DeclHandler<stringT> *>* prop;
Now, I have one last similiar compile error in this file and hopefully I am home free. Here is the function (with my attempt at fixing it with 'template' and 'typename' and the output:
template<class stringT, class string_adaptorT>
327 void libxml2_wrapper<stringT, string_adaptorT>::doSetProperty(const stringT& name, typename std::auto_ptr<typename basic_XMLReader<stringT>::PropertyBase> value)
328 {
329 typename SAX::basic_XMLReader<stringT>::template Property<declHandlerT&>* prop;
330 prop = dynamic_cast<SAX::basic_XMLReader<stringT>::template Property<declHandlerT&>*>(value.get());
331
332 ...
333
334 return;
335 }
/saxlibxml2.h:330: error: expected template-id for type before '*' token
I corrected line 329 with the addition of 'typename' and 'template' as it was giving me errors first. But now I can't figure out what combination to do for 330. I have only added the 'template' keyword so far. Previous to that addition, I was getting:
/saxlibxml2.h:330: error: 'class SAX::basic_XMLReader<string_type>::Property' is not a type.
I think this is my last hurdler, hopefully one of you can recommend a solution!
Thanks,
Tom
> -----Original Message-----
> From: corey taylor [mailto:corey.taylor@gmail.com]
> Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 15:36
> To: Magyar, Thomas J. CIV NAVAIR
> Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
> Subject: Re: gcc v3.4.4; templates and compile errors
>
>
> It looks like you're missing a "typename" keyword on that line.
>
> The reason int works is because that removes the dependency from the
> template parameters.
>
> typename SAX::basic_XMLReader<stringT>::Property<typename
> SAX::basic_DeclHandler<stringT> *>* prop;
>
> More information on this whole requirement is under the C++ section
> of: http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.4/changes.html
>
> corey
>
> On 6/23/05, Magyar, Thomas J. CIV NAVAIR
> <thomas.magyar@navy.mil> wrote:
> > In upgrading from gcc v3.3 to gcc v3.4.4 on an SGI IRIX
> 6.5, I'm having a compile error that I can not figure out.
> We're trying to build the SAX library, and in one of the
> files (saxlibxml2.h) there is a function that a line is
> giving me an error:
> >
> > template<class stringT, class string_adapterT>
> > std::auto_ptr<typename
> basic_XMLReader<stringT>::PropertyBase>
> libxml2_wrapper<stringT,
> string_adapterT>::doGetProperty(const stringT& name)
> > {
> > if(name == properties_.declHandler)
> > {
> > -->
> SAX::basic_XMLReader<stringT>::Property<SAX::basic_DeclHandler
> <stringT> *>* prop;
> >
> > prop = new
> SAX::basic_XMLReader<stringT>::Property<SAX::basic_DeclHandler
> <stringT>*>(declHandler_);
> >
> > return std::auto_ptr<typename
> SAX::basic_XMLReader<stringT>::PropertyBase>(prop);
> > }
> >
> > ...
> > }
> >
> > The line beginning with SAX:: is giving us this compile error:
> >
> > SAX/wrappers/saxlibxml2.h:310: error: expected
> primary-expression before '*' token
> >
> >
> > Not very helpful really. In playing around with the line of
> code and trying to narrow it down, I have found out that if I
> replace all the '<stringT>' in that line (there are 4
> instances of it) with '<int>' it compiles without warning.
> But obviously, it won't work as intended. So it is something
> to do with the 'stringT'. Yet there are other functions in
> this file that use stringT and with no compile errors.
> >
> > Does anyone who is good with templates have any ideas in
> what I may be missing? I'm only familiar with basic
> templates...this code is what I call template hell!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tom
> >
> >
>
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list