Problems building a cross compiler...

Andrew McCall andrew.mccall@gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 13:10:00 GMT 2005

Hi Folks,

I am attempting to build a patched gcc 2.95.3 cross compiler so I can
produce targets of powerpc-*-haiku that are ELF's.  I was planning on
patching it in two phases, firstly to get gcc to compile using
- --target=powerpc-apple-haiku by duplicating all the code for
powerpc-apple-beos - if I am correct this would produce COFF or PE
binaries, the second phase would be to patch again so it produces ELF's.

I patched gcc to recognise powerpc-apple-haiku as a target, but still
use the original BFD, and configured using:

../configure --target=powerpc-apple-haiku --disable-nls
- --enable-shared=yes --enable-languages=c,c++ --prefix=/home/mccall/haiku

This worked OK, and you can see the output here:

http://www.h2o.demon.co.uk/haiku/haiku_gcc_configure.txt

However, when I run make, I eventually get the following error:

../../gcc/libgcc2.c:41: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
../../gcc/libgcc2.c:42: unistd.h: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [libgcc2.a] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/mccall/haiku/src/gcc-2.95.3-haiku/gcc-obj/gcc'
make[2]: *** [stmp-multilib-sub] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/mccall/haiku/src/gcc-2.95.3-haiku/gcc-obj/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/mccall/haiku/src/gcc-2.95.3-haiku/gcc-obj/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

The full output can be seen here:

http://www.h2o.demon.co.uk/haiku/haiku_gcc_make.txt

I thought that it might have been my patches, so I tried the same
thing, but with the --target=powerpc-apple-beos, and this produces the
exact same error.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is?  Is it something to do with me
needing headers from BeOS/Haiku to build a cross compiler?

Thanks,

Andrew McCall