gcj compiling 1.5 source

Barry Andrews titanandrews@earthlink.net
Sat Jul 9 15:56:00 GMT 2005

Hi All,

	Can someone tell me if/when gcj will be able to compile 1.5 source code? 1.5
has many features I would like to be able to use, but currently I cannot
compile it with gcj.

	I thought that at least I would be able to use 1.5 syntax, i.e. generics,
etc. and generate bytecode with javac, then generate native code with gcj. My
theory is that the bytecode wouldn't be any different from 1.4 bytecode if I
am just using the generics syntax and not actually using the libraries from
1.5.  I could be wrong. But I cannot even try this, because if you set
-target to 1.4, you are forced to also set -source to 1.4 in javac, thus
loosing the 1.5 syntax.

many thanks,

Barry