stray '\xxx' in program

Stephen torri storri@torri.org
Sat Jan 29 02:16:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 21:50 +0100, David Balla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I get following message when compileing my program:
> myfile.h:1: error: stray '\239' in program
> myfile.h:1: error: stray '\187' in program
> myfile.h:1: error: stray '\191' in program
>
> Maybe it's something trivial, but I couldn't find the explanation of
> this error message. Please, help me out.
>
> David

Often I have found this to be non-printable characters in a source file.
In this case look on line 1 of myfile.h. If your text editor cannot see
them you either have to turn on showing non printable characters (e.g.
^C) or use hexedit to review the file.

Once you clear these out of the file you should be able to attempting
compiling.

Stephen