./configure gcc-3.4.3

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Thu Jan 13 14:38:00 GMT 2005


"Plantier, Spencer" <spencer.plantier@stratech.com> writes:

> I am new to Unix and need to install GCC. I have downloaded GCC-3.4.3
> and did a ./configure and it errored out saying ./ configure: cc: not
> found
> 
> ***the command 'cc -o conftrest -g conftest.c' failed
> 
> ***you must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
> 
>  
> 
> Can you give me the exact steps to fix this. I have googled the error
> but since I am learning this on my own it the fixes didn't make a whole
> lot of sense.

In order to build gcc yourself, you need to have a working C compiler
already.  Yes, this is a catch-22.  It can be avoided by using a
prebuilt binary distribution of gcc.  Binary distributions are
available for most platforms which do not routinely provide C
compilers.  You neglected to say which platform you are using.

Ian



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list