certain ld options

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Tue Jan 11 16:29:00 GMT 2005

Roopesh Kohad <roopesh.kohad@gmail.com> writes:

>         I am  supposed to take a call on GNU linker ld ported to our
> subsystem environment. I ran the GCC testsuite and found that ld fails
> in Bootstrap tests with following options --traditional-format,
> --no-keep-memory, --relax. It passes with -static option. I am not a
> power user of GNU tools so do not know the implications of these
> options much. Could you throw some light on the usage of these
> options?

That sounds like the linker testsuite.  The linker is part of the
binutils, and is discussed on the binutils mailing list.  See
http://sourceware.org/binutils/ for more information.

If the linker succeeds without -static, but fails with
--traditional-format/--no-keep-memory/--relax, then I suspect that
there is a linker bug somewhere.  If the linker fails without -static,
then there may be some issue related to shared libraries, or more
probably simply a bug in the linker testsuite.

Ian