Trace Scheduling in GCC

Vladimir Makarov vmakarov@redhat.com
Tue Feb 15 06:30:00 GMT 2005

Ghassan Shobaki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have previously studied superblock scheduling by importing
> superblock DAGs from gcc and feeding them into my scheduler (I have
> published my results at Micro in case you are interested:
> http://www.microarch.org/micro37/papers/25_Shobaki-Superblock.pdf)

Thanks for the article, Ghassan.  But I don't think this is the first
optimal algorithm as you wrote in your introdauction.  I implemented an
analogous approach about seven years ago.  And I am sure I am not the first.

The problem with the optimal algorithms is that they describe always
simplified models.  For example, the real register allocation is not
only assigning registers.  It is also coalescing, spilling,
rematerialization, register elimination, sometimes code selection etc.
The insn scheduling is not only rearranging insns but also partial
register renaming and forward substitution, insn cloning, sometimes
predication, insn mutation, code unification, supporting data/control
speculation hardware, code unification etc.

It can not be decribed by a resonable model for optimal solution.  IMHO
usage of metaheuristic (like simulated annealing, taboo search, genetic
aproaches etc) to get a better solution of real problems is more
productive way.  They work fine for real problem like chip design,
tracing and placements in board designing.

In any case, I'll read your article with a great attention.  It will be
a joy to me to compare your approach with mine.

If you could manage integrate your code and approach into gcc for its
real usage, that would be great.  That would be the first industrial
compiler using such approach.

> Now, I wonder if I can do the same thing to traces by importing the
> DAGs and the necessary data-flow information from gcc. Unlike the
> superblock, which has a single entry and multipl exits, a trace is a
> more general structure that can have multiple entries and multiple
> exits. So, the question is: Can I
> extract traces for my experiments from gcc?
>
> My understanding is that since version 3.4 gcc offers these two
> command-line options:
> -fsched2-use-superblocks: This does extended basic block scheduling;
> no trace formation or tail duplication. It just schedules the extended
> basic blocks that appear naturally in the code.
>
> -fsched2-use-traces: This does superblock scheduling, i.e. it forms
> traces then it does tail duplication to eliminate side entrances.
>
> I am right about the functionalities of these options?
> It seems to me that none of these options meets my objective of
> studying traces that have mltiple entrances and multiple exits. Please
> correct me if I am wrong. And if I am right, is there another way for
> me to get what I want, may be by doing some quick hack that bypasses
> tail duplication under
> the -fsched2-use-tarces option -does this make sense?

Sorry, I don't know this code well.  I am in the same position as you. I
should research the code to answer your questions.  I think Jan is
the right person to do it.  Because he wrote this code.

Vlad