alignment issues for sse

Eljay Love-Jensen eljay@adobe.com
Thu Feb 17 07:57:00 GMT 2005


Hi Brian,

 >Wow, that's terrible news if true.

Take it with a grain of salt.  I'm just speculating.

You might want to try looking at the assembly output of the compiler, using 
the -S switch.  It might shed some light as to what's going on under the 
covers, especially pertaining to alignment.

 >But surely thousands of people are writing sse code... how do they make 
it work?

I presume by taking measures to assure the SSE structs are properly aligned.

 >Do I need to switch to the intel compiler/linker?

I do not know.

 >Or is there a way to tell ld to allow larger alignment sizes?

I'm not sure -- perhaps it is an option when ld is configure'd and make'd.

 >Are there other linkers available for (free) use with gcc?

I do not know.

HTH,
--Eljay



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list