compiling gcc 4.0.2 locks up on solaris

Boris Glawe boris@boris-glawe.de
Thu Dec 8 00:26:00 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am running solaris 10 with the gcc 3.4.3 provided by sun.

I'd like to compile gcc 4.0.2, but the compilation process locks up
after a few minutes during the execution of a perl command.

I've found a posting from November where a guy has had the same problem:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2005-11/msg01502.html

I can confirm this bug now.

According to this posting, it's perl's fault, so I compiled perl myself
and installed it. But it didn't help! With the lsof command I've checked
that the new perl installation is really used. I've attached the output
of the compile process.

There's another  thing, that might be the reason for this problem. At
the end of the unpacking process of the tar file, there where a lot of
error messages:

bash-3.00# bzcat gcc-4.0.2.tar.bz2 | tar fx -
tar: ././@LongLink: typeflag 'L' not recognized, converting to regular file
tar: ././@LongLink: typeflag 'L' not recognized, converting to regular file
tar: ././@LongLink: typeflag 'L' not recognized, converting to regular file
tar: ././@LongLink: typeflag 'L' not recognized, converting to regular file
tar: ././@LongLink: typeflag 'L' not recognized, converting to regular file

With the gtar command, which corresponds to the gnu tar command, these
errors did not occur, but the building process still locks up at the
same point.

I don't have this problem with linux machines, only with solaris machines.

Any ideas?

greets Boris