maximum number of variables?

Nicolas Ouellette sideshownic@hotmail.com
Tue Aug 30 21:01:00 GMT 2005

Hello

I am presently running a huge code following the hydrodynamical evolution of
a system (in 2 dimentions).  I store the quantities evolving (density,
velocity, pressure) into large 2-D arrays.  Recently, I tried to make my 2-D
arrays bigger (to study a bigger system) and eventually, I reached a certain
point where I was getting a "segmentation error".  The only thing I changed
was the size of my arrays.

I deleted a few arrays that were redundant (making my code less user
friendly), and I found that I could slightly increase the size of my arrays
until I reached the "segmentation error".

Here are my questions:  1) Is there a maximum number of variables allowed
when using gcc? (from my experience I am guessing yes) 2) Is there a way to
increase the number of variables allowed when using gcc?

Thanking you for your help

Nicolas Ouellette