does GCC support __assume, __noop and _ReturnAddress?

Daniel Berlin dberlin@dberlin.org
Mon Aug 29 17:19:00 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 23:26 +0800, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> I know that these are microsoft inventions but does GCC support anything
> similar?
>
> Is there any reason why you couldnt add support for these keywords (or
> something similar to them) in GCC?

We have

builtin_expect(x,y) -> tell the compiler that the value of x is most
likely y, and optimize for that.

builtin_return_address

and

i'm not sure what nop does
Does it really output a nop to the instruction stream?

Or is it just an empty statement in the IL.

If just an empty statement in the IL, you can use

(void)0;