4.0

Eljay Love-Jensen eljay@adobe.com
Tue Apr 12 15:38:00 GMT 2005

Hi Christian,

I'm *guessing* that since GCC 4.0.0 is open for regression fixes only and GCC 4.1.0 is current active development, that that GCC 4.0.0 will be released for public consumption "real soon now".

My expectation of "real soon now" is in the next 8 weeks.

I also temper that with the sentiment "GCC 4.0.0 will be released when it's done."  So take my aforementioned expectation with a grain of salt and a heaping help of caveat.

I do not work for GNU, nor do I work on the development of GCC itself.  So I'm just throwing out my own WAG.

I know that the GCC developers work really hard to make sure GCC is solid... but I tend to be a bit cautious and wait a few months *after* the release for others to test the temperature of the water.  Maybe there will be a GCC 4.0.1 a few weeks after GCC 4.0.0 is released, one never knows.  Others are a little more comfortable on the bleeding edge...

So whatever works for your comfort level.  :-)

In the words of Kelly Bundy, "To be forewarned is to have four arms."

Sincerely,
--Eljay