portability of shared libraries

dave fournier orders@otter-rsch.com
Tue Apr 5 18:40:00 GMT 2005

Thanks for all the advice.

 From what I understand RH8 is old. Maybe
almost no one uses it any more?  I tend to keep
an old version around just so that I can compile things on it.

So I think the answer is that my shared library built on
FC3 should run on all "newer" versions of Linux and that if
I want to support older versions I can build another library
on RH8.

As for the g++ in the command line it was just to avoid having to
write -lstdc++ since I am linking c++ code. However it
gave me the thought that the stdc++ might get linked
before the -Xlinker -static took effect so I changed to

    gcc   ......  -shared -o nbmm.so  -Xlinker -static  ..........  \
       -lstdc++

and it did change the size of the library, but it still crashed.

           Dave

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.