Question on pthread_cancel/pthread_exit and thread stack unwind

Eljay Love-Jensen eljay@adobe.com
Thu Sep 16 20:47:00 GMT 2004

Hi Yufeng,

 >I'm not sure how active you are involved with the GCC development...

I'm a user of GCC just like yourself, much like most of the people on this
forum.  This is a user-community supported self-help forum.

 >...is there a technical problem preventing this from happening or it's
just nobody is considering doing it?

Well, yes, it's a technical problem of sorts.  The C++ specification does
not support multithreading programming.

POSIX Threads in C/C++ are an "after market bolt-on", so to speak.

There are other languages which handle multithreaded programming better
than C++:  Ada and Java come to mind.  Those are but two examples; I'm sure
there are many other languages which are multithread savvy.

 >We can consider other compilers but we really like to use GCC because
then we can pretty much use the 'same' compiler for different platforms.

As I understand it, GCC supports Ada and supports Java.  So you could stick
with GCC.

HTH,
--Eljay