Cross compiling conceptual confusion

Ghazan Haider ghazanhaider@yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 17:10:00 GMT 2004


Lets get this straight. 

Binutils must be compiled targetting the target
system, but it runs on the host system. The target can
be seen in sparc-linux-ld -V

gcc must be compiled like so:
../configure --target=sparc-linux --prefix=/usr/local
--disable-threads

And this gives me a missing crti.o

So libgcc needs the targets libc headers. Does it need
the COMPILED libraries?

I added --with-headers ../../glibc-2.3.x/include and
it bombs out with
/usr/local/sparc-linux/sys-include/libio not found.

Someone said the c libraries must be COMPILED, but I
dont have a compiler. 

My eventual aim is to use uclibc, a custom kernel and
busybox for sparc. I have a good binutils, and uclibc,
glibc2.3 sources, and a good slackware 10
installation.

What to do next?

And if this is such a chicken and egg problem, how is
the first gcc/library of any platform compiled?







		
_______________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Declare Yourself - Register online to vote today!
http://vote.yahoo.com



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list