build gcc 3.3.4 on AMD64/SLES8 Linux

Weimin Zhu weimin.zhu@db.com
Wed Sep 8 20:02:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

I tried to build gcc on AMD64 Linux server running SLES8.  Here what I did

      # configure  --prefix=/64-bit/infra/GNUgcc/3.3.4
      # make

"make" returned error message like this:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot open crti.o: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [32/libgcc_s_32.so] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/64b-tools/object/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stmp-multilib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/64b-tools/object/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

I have glibc-devel-2.2.5-213 installed, and it contains the file "crti.o".  But looks like "ld" couldn't find it.  Even I want to make a soft link or copy of "crti.o", I couldn't find the right directory to put it.

Also, another question, even I got this worked, the binary I get will be both 32- and 64-b compatible?

Thanks.

-weimin