problem with Apple's customised gcc compiler

Tony Han Bao tonybao@mac.com
Thu Mar 18 15:26:00 GMT 2004


Hi Eljay

Thank you for your reply.

I did use the -w option which would explain why there is no warning 
messages. But this surly must be an error not a warning.

I tried turn on -W, and also the line g++ -pedantic -Werror -Wall -W -c 
bug.cpp

The compiler generated only a warning.

Should I report this to Apple?

By the way, could I use the true gcc compiler and Apple's customised 
version on the same machine without conflict? How do I do this?

Thank you very much.

Tony
On Mar 13, 2004, at 5:14 pm, Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:

> Hi Tony,
>
> Both as C and C++ the code returned a warning for me.
>
> Using Apple's GCC 3.3 20030304 Build 1495.
>
> gcc -c bug.c
>
> g++ -c bug.cpp
>
> >Is there a known bug in the above compiler that caused this?
>
> Would you retry compiling your code snippet.  Since it generated a 
> warning for me, I'm surprised / concerned.
>
> >Or could there be some other problem that causes the compiler to 
> behave like this?
>
> Do you have warnings suppressed?  What was your command line?
>
> >Could it be that the compiler optimised away some code and over 
> looked this error?
>
> No.
>
> >Is there any compiler options that could enforce this error checking?
>
> g++ -pedantic -Werror -Wall -W -c bug.cpp
>
> >One last unrelated question, can I use the true gcc compiler (not 
> apple's customised version) on a mac?
>
> Do you merely want to run your code at the Darwin level?  Then yes.
>
> HTH,
> --Eljay
>



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list