Problem installing gcc-3.3 on a RedHat 9 distribution

Claudio Bley bley@cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed Jan 21 17:02:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:46:40PM +0100, herve.lebail@free.fr wrote:

> Problem installing gcc-3.3 on a RedHat 9 distribution
>
> PC configuration : intel PENTIUM IV - GeForce nvidia 4
>
> 1) Just after the installation on the RedHat 9 Linux distribution
> I need the g77 which is not installed by default on the system

Then just install it from your distribution CDs or download it from
http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/ or
one of the Redhat mirror sites.

> Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnu host.
> Created "Makefile" in /home/hll/gccrun using "mt-frag"
> /home/hll/gccextract/gcc-3.3/configure: line 8: cc: command not found
> **** The command 'cc -o conftest -g  conftest.c' failed.
> **** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

> So I've got a regular Makefile I think but I'm, right at the moment, unable to
> find a compiler.
> By default the gcc compiler version that comes with RedHat 9 is gcc296 (located
> in /usr/bin).

That's wrong. GCC 2.96 is installed by the compat-gcc package -- for
compatibility reasons for older programs.

The default compiler on Redhat 9 is GCC 3.2.2.

> Can someone help me to configure properly gcc-3.3

However, you may use the already installed gcc296 to bootstrap GCC
3.3, just set the environment variable CC to this compiler as you were
already told. If you're using Bash run

export CC=/usr/bin/gcc296

HTH
--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux user                         - against HTML email  X