anal panic

rurik leffanta plattermatic@earthlink.net
Sat Jan 31 18:50:00 GMT 2004

i apologise (sorry - i have lots of experience with being newbie)

but i have to go on just to attempt to depict myself as a non-idiot person..
(lol)

i've been trynig to learn c++ from "c++ by example," by steve donovan.. it
comes with an app called 'underc' (which is free on the web i believe) which
allows beginners to test c++ syntax in real time w/o having to compile..

unfortunately, this text has driven me completely mad with frustration over
the last few years (yes, years) because things like
ofstream out;
out.open("testfile.txt");
out << "here is a line" << endl;

WORK in 'underc,' although it seems to have no relevance to 'real' c++.. so
i've got a textbook full of apparently useless syntax, since there is no
explanation on how to 'qualify ofstream as a type,' which is my compile
error.

moreover, the text truly is 'by example,' ie. one is generally expected to
intuit the functionality from examples instead of a taxonomic analysis :p

sigh. i promise, no more emails to list this week, so tia for any replies.
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~plattermatic
http://www.panicnow.net/~xoxos