Redirecting compiler output

"Dr. Germund Höjer" germund@eros.pquim.unam.mx
Fri Jan 30 17:36:00 GMT 2004

I cannot get g77 and gcc to redirect compiler messages to a text file.
The line

g77 code.f > report.txt

only creates a file report.txt of zero lenght and any error or warning
messages from the compiler only scroll by on the screen. I get the same
behaviour working in KDE graphic mode and in plain text mode (SuSE Linux
8.1) with various versions of gcc. I am using 3.3.2 now.
And the same happens with gcc 3.2.2 running under MinGW/Windows98 so I
doubt it is an OS problem.

I have not found any clue in the gcc manuals.

Best regards

--
Dr. Germund Hojer
Facultad de Quimica