backward _warning and failure to execute

Gruen Lab gruen.lab@yale.edu
Tue Jan 20 20:33:00 GMT 2004

Hello,

I am trying to compile a genetics analysis program ("transmit") on a
sun station running SunOS5.9.  I believe that it has version 3.2 of
c++, and version 3.2 of gcc.  There is a Makefile bundled with the
program.  When I run "make" I get the following error messages:

gruen@/home/gruen/Applications/transmit-2.5.4% make
g++ -c   -DVERSION="\"2.5.4, Aug 2002\"" -DSEED=srand48 transmit.C
In file included from /usr/local/include/c++/3.2/backward/iostream.h:31,
                  from transmit.C:5:
/usr/local/include/c++/3.2/backward/backward_warning.h:32:2: warning:
#warning This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated
header. Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in section
17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard. Examples include substituting the <X>
header for the <X.h> header for C++ includes, or <sstream> instead of
the deprecated header <strstream.h>. To disable this warning use
-Wno-deprecated.
g++ -c   -DURAN=drand48 transfun.C
In file included from /usr/local/include/c++/3.2/backward/iostream.h:31,
                  from transfun.C:8:
/usr/local/include/c++/3.2/backward/backward_warning.h:32:2: warning:
#warning This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated
header. Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in section
17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard. Examples include substituting the <X>
header for the <X.h> header for C++ includes, or <sstream> instead of
the deprecated header <strstream.h>. To disable this warning use
-Wno-deprecated.
g++ -c   cline.c
g++ -c   -DURAN=drand48 bstrap.c
g++ -c   profile.c
g++ -c   stats.c
g++ -c   matrix.c
g++  -o transmit transmit.o transfun.o cline.o profile.o matrix.o
bstrap.o stats.o

After compiling there is an executable form of the program, but when I
try to execute it I get the following error message:
gruen@/home/gruen/Applications/transmit-2.5.4% transmit
ld.so.1: transmit: fatal: libstdc++.so.5: open failed: No such file or
directory
Killed

Apparently there was some fatal error in the compiling.  I would think
that the fatal error is reflected in the warning messages produced
during the compiling process (above) regarding a "deprecated or
antiquated header".

Could you please offer a suggestion on how to fix this problem?

(I don't know if this is helpful but when I compile on transmit on
MacOSX with the same Makefile the program compiles and executes
flawlessly.  I would prefer, however to use this particular program on
our Sun server for group use.  I have included the Makefile below.)

Thanks,

Jeff Gruen
gruen.lab@yale.edu

Makefile for transmit:
gruen@/home/gruen/Applications/transmit-2.5.4% more Makefile
VERSION = 2.5.4
DATE = Aug 2002

VER = "\"$(VERSION), $(DATE)\""
CMP = g++ -c
CMP_FLAGS =
LD = g++
LD_FLAGS =
UNIFORM_RANDOM = drand48
RANDOM_SEED = srand48
CMP = g++ -c
LD = g++

transmit : transmit.o transfun.o cline.o bstrap.o profile.o stats.o
matrix.o
         $(LD) $(LD_FLAGS) -o transmit transmit.o transfun.o cline.o
profile.o matrix.o bstrap.o stats.o

transmit.o : transmit.C transmit.h cline.h bstrap.h
         $(CMP) $(CMP_FLAGS) -DVERSION=$(VER) -DSEED=$(RANDOM_SEED)
transmit.C

transfun.o : transfun.C transmit.h
         $(CMP) $(CMP_FLAGS) -DURAN=$(UNIFORM_RANDOM) transfun.C

cline.o : cline.c
         $(CMP) $(CMP_FLAGS) cline.c

profile.o : profile.c matrix.h
         $(CMP) $(CMP_FLAGS) profile.c

matrix.o : matrix.c matrix.h
         $(CMP) $(CMP_FLAGS) matrix.c

bstrap.o : bstrap.c bstrap.h matrix.h
         $(CMP) $(CMP_FLAGS) -DURAN=$(UNIFORM_RANDOM) bstrap.c

stats.o : stats.c
         $(CMP) $(CMP_FLAGS) stats.c

clean :
         rm -f *.o *~ transmit-$(VERSION).tar.gz transmit-$(VERSION).zip

distribution:
         mkdir transmit-$(VERSION)
         cp *.C *.c *.h *.doc test.dat Makefile  transmit-$(VERSION)/
         rm -f transmit-$(VERSION).tar.gz transmit-$(VERSION).zip
         tar cvf transmit-$(VERSION).tar transmit-$(VERSION)/*
         gzip transmit-$(VERSION).tar
         zip transmit-$(VERSION).zip transmit-$(VERSION)/*
         rm -f transmit-$(VERSION)/*