Mysterious gethostbyname problem

Andre Kirchner supercroc1974@yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 02:36:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have made this program, but I can't figure out what
is wrong with it. Somehow it always freezes at the
gethostbyname command.
Does anyone have anyidea about what could be wrong?
I'm using gcc 3.2.2 on a RedHat 9 system.

Thanks,

Andre

int main()
{
printf( "%d\n", connectSocket( "www.hotmail.com", 80 )
);
return( 0 );
}

int connectSocket( const char * hostName, const int
portno )
{
  int sockfd;
  struct hostent *server = 0;
  struct sockaddr_in serv_addr;

  // create the socket
  sockfd = socket( AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0 );
  if ( sockfd < 0 )
    return( -1 );

  // determine the host
  if( ( server = gethostbyname( hostName ) ) == NULL )
  {
    printf( "Error number: %d\n", errno );
    return( -1 );
  }

  // connect to the host
  bzero( ( char * ) &serv_addr, sizeof( serv_addr ) );
  serv_addr.sin_family = AF_INET;
  bcopy( ( char * ) server -> h_addr, ( char * )
&serv_addr.sin_addr.s_addr, server -> h_length );
  serv_addr.sin_port = htons( portno );
  if ( connect( sockfd, ( struct sockaddr* )
&serv_addr, sizeof( serv_addr ) ) < 0 )
  return( -1 );

  return( sockfd );
}