Can't install gcc 3.2 alongside gcc 2.96 on Red Hat 7.3
Jonathan Watt
jonathan.watt@strath.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 16:30:00 GMT 2004
Hi,
I just want to thank Claudio Bley and Lyle Taylor for all their help
last week. I really appreciate the lengths you both went to, to explain
things to me guys. Not only can I now compile and run my code on the
cluster without any risk of disrupting anyone else's work, but I now
understand quite a bit more than I did about how things work. Many
thanks to you both! It is really appreciated! :)
Regards,
Jonathan
Jonathan Watt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like (need) to install gcc 3.2 or greater on Red Hat 7.3 while
> leaving the default compiler (gcc 2.96) and its libraries in place. I am
> relatively new to GNU/Linux but I know that other people have managed
> this before. I have spent the last week or so trying with what I believe
> to be suitable RPMs and source RPMs that I have found while searching
> the Web. Unfortunately the RPMs want to install files that conflict with
> files belonging to gcc 2.96, and the source RPMs I have found won't
> build. An example error message would be:
>
> RPM build error.
> Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp 83330
>
> I would be very greatful for any help in solving these problems. I
> should probably add that what I know about RPM has been learnt in the
> last week so I may not be using it correctly.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jonathan
>
>
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list