Help with configuring GCC 3.3.2

Thomas Carlson carlsonte@earthlink.net
Sat Feb 28 18:16:00 GMT 2004

I have attempted for days now to locate help documents, posts,
etc. that would help me configure, build, install, etc this version
of gcc. I'm new to the Linux environment and therefore my vocab-
ulary of Linux terms is limited, but here goes.

I have downloaded the entire GCC 3.3.2 source files to directory
 /usr/gcc/gcc-3.3.2/(and whatever file tree it came with)

My system specifications are:
Dell T450
450mhz Pentium III processor
30Gb hdd to Linux
Mandrake Linux 9.2 (fivestar) Discovery Edition

I have no idea what if any gcc compiler there is or may be, the same
goes for cygwn (spelling?)

this is the message I receive from the command
 '/usr/gcc/gcc-3.3.2/configure'

[root@localhost MyGCC]# /usr/gcc/gcc-3.3.2/configure
Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld host.
Created "Makefile" in /usr/gcc/MyGCC using "mt-frag"
/usr/gcc/gcc-3.3.2/configure: line 8: cc: command not found
*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.