Help with GCC internals

Weihaw Chuang weihawchuang@hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 05:07:00 GMT 2004

Hi all,
I'm trying to modify GCC to emit some specialized STABS annotations.  More
specifically, I want to mark memory instructions at parsing and have them
pass all the way through lowering, and the back-end, such that I can emit
STABS directives associated with these instructions.  I have two questions:

1. How do I pass information through RTX?  I see that I can modify the Tree
data structure just fine (struct tree_common in tree.h), but rtx (struct
rtx_def in rtl.h) is highly specialized, with multiple uses for the same
memory in a not completely clear way.  Its hinted that rtx NOTES and other
attribute rtx's do this for me.  But I can see problems with the scheduler,
especially because it doesn't know about any new specialized "NOTES" rtx
that I might use.

2. Are there specialized intermediate representation dumps?  I've found the
'-dX' dumps.  Is there a way to increase the amount of information
associated with these dumps, or through some other dumps?  Can these dumps
describe more clearly control flow information like predecessor and
successor block?  Further is there a way to associate insn numbers with the
assembly?

Thanks very much
-Wei