128 bit floating point arithmetic

Eljay Love-Jensen eljay@adobe.com
Mon Feb 16 21:41:00 GMT 2004

Hi Jirka,

>Any comments on this?

I am not familiar with the Athlon64.

It is possible that some marketroids misunderstood "simultaneously processes four 32-bit floating points" as "128-bit floating point arithmetic".

>Which processors supports 128-bit floating point arithmetic?

None that I work with.  These days, I just know about Pentium 4, PowerPC G4, SPARC64, DEC/Compaq TRU64's Alpha.

If you REALLY need the higher precision of 128-bit floating point (or better), there are C++ libraries to support floating point (and fixed point) numbers with greater precision.

HTH,
--Eljay