Where can I get info on gcc and ARM 7T?

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Tue Dec 21 18:34:00 GMT 2004

David Kramer <david@thekramers.net> writes:

> We have an ARM devel board based on the 7T.  We're trying to do
> development on it using GCC instead of the expensive development tools.
> For the most part, it's going OK, but we've hit some pretty rough
> roadblocks.  I've asked some questions here that have gone unanswered,
> mostly because, I'm sure, that's not a widely-used architecture.  In
> particular, we're having a very hard time implementing the few lines of
> assembler we need to set interrupt handlers we need to read button press
> events, etc.
>
> So my meta-question is, if this list can't provide the help we need with
> GCC C and assembler on the ARM 7T, where can we find out more about it?
> Is there a separate mailing list or website?

We can tell you how to use inline assembler with gcc.  But we can't
tell you what the assembler instructions should look like.  The
details are going to be specific to your hardware and your CPU
architecture.  In general gcc does not concern itself with that type
of code.

That said, note that gcc does support defining interrupt handler
functions for the ARM.  See
    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.3/gcc/Function-Attributes.html#Function-Attributes

Or, if you tell us the assembler instructions you need, we can tell
you how to get them into your object files.

I personally don't know of any ARM specific development mailing lists,
but I'm sure there are some out there.

Ian