query of gcc

Deepak Soi sdeepak@cadence.com
Thu Dec 23 05:02:00 GMT 2004

Hi,
    I have a query regarding the use of gnu compiler gcc . When i
compile 50  files of a project (.cpp and .c ) using makefile utility
sequentially , it will take around 75 secs, as noted by "time" command.
But when i make a single compilation unit of all, it takes just 3 secs
to compile.By single compilation unit , i mean i create another file
my.cpp and I  #include all the .cpp files into it. then the compilation
is showing this much reduction in our project's case.
Surely this difference is due to the time involved due to loading of
same header files again and again when it is #included in more than 1
.cpp file So in latter case, each header file will be loaded once, but
in former case, it will be loaded(ofcourse compiled also) again and
again for each .cpp file, hence causing the time problem.
                                                       So my question is
, Can we set some option in the gcc for a particular project, so that if
once that header has been loaded or its path has been searched, its path
been stored somewhere(hashtable of paths) so that  it can used for other
files of the project and reduce loading(no compiling time) time ,hence
reducing the overall compile time or rather can we maintain a cache of
all the header filles so that again reloading is not required. I know
about pre-compiling the headers, but anything else than that which is
possible,will be great????

What I feel  is ,I can't use precompiled headers in my project, as i
have a number of modules in our whole project, and each module has
different header requirements. However with in a module , the headers
required by all .cpp files are almost same.So in this case, I can't set
aside few headers to be pre-compiled for whole project. Also, second
thing is i don't know about the which header files will be reqd. by each
module in advance , without scanning the whole project, so i can't
choose which headers to precompile.

                   Whereas if we can cache the header-file  which is
once loaded in to memory, then later if its reqd, we won't load it
again, during the compilation of next .cpp file, it can be of help- in
saving the compilation time of the next .cpp file. What you suggest? Can
it be an additional functionality? Do we have something to support it
right now in gcc ?

regards
Deepak Soi