Code Bloat using GCC 3.2 on Linux
Gaurav Jain
gaurav.anywhere@gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 15:28:00 GMT 2004
Hi Eljay,
What's more important for me is the size on disk. I want a small file
that can be easy to download.
I have already tried the "strip" command, and the relative figures I
gave were after stripping the binaries.
-Gaurav
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:22:02 -0600, Eljay Love-Jensen <eljay@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi Guarav,
>
> Did you do the "strip" command on the output binary?
>
> strip myexecutable
>
> That might cut out 10%.
>
> When you are talking about the "bloat", are you speaking about the file, or
> of the memory footprint of the program when running?
>
> If you are speaking of the file, that does not necessarily correspond to
> "bloat" in memory. The Linux executable file may be 100 KB, and the memory
> footprint (code + data) may be 200 KB. The Windows executable file may be
> 50 KB and the memory footprint (code + data) may be 10 MB.
>
> I'm just trying to understand what you consider "bloat". Is it important
> that the file be small, or that the running memory footprint be small?
>
> --Eljay
>
>
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list