Make: vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Harry Boeck Harry.Boeck@t-online.de
Mon Dec 13 18:55:00 GMT 2004

Hallo,

i'm new with building gcc.

I'm trying to do a build on the source version 3.4.3.
My host is a i686-pc-cygwin.
The target should be some native win32 executables with the smallest
possible overhead (msvcrt linked),
but since I hadn't any chance to figure those details out jet,
I tried to build a bootstrap, as suggested by "install/build.html".

Well, first I could not even step over the configure process,
because the documentation install/prerequisites.html is missing
a couple of entries in the section
"Tools/packages necessary for building GCC":

sed, grep, textutils, diffutils, fileutils, sh-utils, gnu-awk.

While it may not be of great importance to long time unix users
and systems, it is so for any non unix system as well as for
any none unix user.

Then, after about 1 hour, the "making of" issued something about:

...(much more of those messages)...
make[2]: vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable
3567241 [main] make 296693 fork_copy: user/cygwin data pass 2 failed, 0x10010000
..0x1023A000, done 0, windows pid 4294596011, Win32 error 8
make[2]: vfork: Resource temporarily unavailable
make[2]: Leaving directory `/top/c/DEV/PROJEKTE/gcc/bin/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stage3_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/top/c/DEV/PROJEKTE/gcc/bin/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

At this stage, I throw in the towel.

Is there anybody who can depict me what to change to make it make?

Harry Boeck