New datatype addition to gcc

Sriharsha Vedurmudi sriharsha.v@redpinesignals.com
Fri Dec 10 11:54:00 GMT 2004

Hello All,

	I want to know if it is feasible (without too much of work) to add a new custom data-type to gcc 3.2.

We have a processor which originally has 16-bit addressing. So, while porting gcc3.2 to our processor, modifications were done to the effect
that even character datatypes will access/address 16- bits. Now, our Processor development team says, they are adding 4 new instructions
(load/store lo/high byte) and they want for the compiler to provide a provision where 8-bit addressing is possible in parallel with 16-bit,
but NO 8-bit arithmetic is needed.
So, I thought, if a new custom-datatype can be added to the existing port, and only load/store functions can be attached to the variables of
that datatype, it would be much simpler.

Please advice,
Thanks and Regards,
Sriharsha.

--