gcc v3.4.3 related question

Jeffrey Holle jeff.holle@verizon.net
Wed Dec 8 19:38:00 GMT 2004


I'm asking this question with the hope that my confidence will be 
strengthened that a future build option will solve my problem.

I am attempting to use boost.serialization library on a rather large 
shared library whose data needs to be persisted.

Presently, with the Boost v1.32.0 release, this library is only 
available as a static library (*.a).

I can successfully build and use my shared library when I have only a 
few serialize methods implemented.

However, when I add the rest (34), I get link errors associated with the 
booost.serialization library.

This doesn't appear to be related to a particular module.  Instead it 
starts happening when about 14 serialize methods are added.

It should be noted that boost.serialization makes extreme use of templates.

Work is presently being done to make this library available as shared 
library.

My questions are:

1.  Is there an explaination for this problem?
2.  Will using a shared library instead of a static one likely help?
3.  Should I perhaps try older versions of gcc? (presently I'm using v3.4.3)



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list