how to combine gcc and binutils source into one tree

David Kramer david@thekramers.net
Mon Aug 30 17:04:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 steve@millersnet.net wrote:

> >they have common directories libiberty,include,texinfo,config, etc....
> >what is the best way to merge them?
> >

> >thanks in advance
> >Steven
>
> I ask this question last week, is this not the right list for this question?

I will give it my best shot, but I am acutally new to compiling
gcc/binutils myself.  Gaining Way Too Much experience in it in the last
week or so though.

In combining projects like this in general, if those common directories
have completely identical contents, then you can pull it off.  The way you
integrate them is by changing the master Makefile to call the new
directories too, and to make sure the install targets for the new
directories get called too.

If I were a betting man (which I'm not), I would try something devious
like:

- Untar package A into DIR1
- Untar package B into DIR2
- Copy the unique directories from package B to DIR1
- Copy the main Makefile of package B to $DIR1/Makefile.packageb
- cd $DIR1
- Configure and make package A
- Make package B using the makefile Makefile.packageb

One obstacle I fear is that their configure scripts will need different
things.

I would be fascinated to hear whether this works or not.  Let me know.

I would also be interested in hearing why you want to do this though.  TO
save 20 minutes of compile time?

DDDD   David Kramer         david@thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  You don't usually hear "hydraulics" and "simplicity"
DK KD  in the same sentence.
DDDD                                             Cathy Rogers, Junkyard Wars