GCC Project Help !

Dave Korn dk@artimi.com
Thu Aug 26 17:27:00 GMT 2004

  Hey, that sounds fairly easy, given that the source code is publicly
available!

> And the as a inital part of The project , we hv been asked to
> analysis , a
> file called expr.c which converts the parse tree to RTL .
>
> It wouild be my pleasure , if u let me know abt how to go
> about it.

  How to analyse a source file?  Isn't that what the course you've been
doing was supposed to teach you?  Are you asking us to summarize all the
lessons and lectures that you have been taught during your course?  Or just
to do your homework for you?

> And is
> there any site which could let em know abt the Data structure
> used in GCC .

  You want to see the compiler internals documentation:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/

That's the best explanation you'll get of the overall structure and
operations of the compiler.  The rest you have to understand by studying the
source code and seeing how it works, what functions there are, looking at
RTL dumps, running gcc under a debugger to see where the control flow goes
and what it does when it's there, etc. etc.  There are a lot of comments in
the source code; they're not all entirely up-to-date or accurate, but most
of the data structures in the source code have good comments to explain what
they are for and what all the data members mean.

> It would be also nice, if u could let me know any GCC
> contributor would be
> interested in Helping us or any other forum where we could
> het assist from .

  You're on a university course.  If you need some training in software
engineering techniques, why not ask your tutors?  They are supposed to be
there to help you.....

    cheers,
      DaveK