Newbie Hello

Jeffrey Holle jeff.holle@verizon.net
Sun Aug 15 16:57:00 GMT 2004


The thing that you need to know about the difference between a scripting 
language and C/C++ is that the later is strongly typed.

This means that you basically need to know what these types are and what 
can and can't be auto converted.

In your case, you are treating a *char as an int.

If you are using C++, the most eligant way to do this is via 
boost::lexical_cast.  In C, there are more primative facilities.  Look 
for atoi documentation.

Larry Brown wrote:
> I hope I'm in the right place... I am a fairly accomplished php
> developer and have written quite a bit of code with it.  However, all of
> my coding experience has been with scripting languages and I have never
> had to deal with memory allocation and rarely ever dealt with pointers
> or casting etc.
> 
> For instance...
> 
> with scripting I can simply access arguments by referencing the string
> at argv[1] or ARGV[1] etc.  It looks like I should be able to do this
> with c but I have to reference *argv[x] and *argv[x] only holds the
> first character.  The following is a snippet...
> 
> int main(int argc, *argv[])
> {
> 	int secondVar=*argv[2];
> }
> 
> if the second argument is say ... 10, I only get the 1.  There is some
> logic that I must follow that I can't see.  I've tried looking at
> *argv[2][0] to see if it was one and *argv[2][1] was zero but is
> aparently not the case.
> 
> I have looked at several howto/instruction documents and none seem to
> yeild much.  
> 
> TIA
> 
> Again, I hope I'm in the right place...
> 
> Larry
> 
> 



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list