Optimization

Ian Lance Taylor ian@wasabisystems.com
Tue Apr 27 15:03:00 GMT 2004

Brian D.McGrew <brian@visionpro.com> writes:

> As for the -O0 flag, I posted the wrong trace file.  In the release
> trees, we use -O2 -g -finline-limit=2750 on all versions, all
> platforms.  My bad.

I doubt this is your problem, but -finline-limit will have a different
effect on i386 and SPARC, since the SPARC will normally require more
instructions.  Although -finline-limit is expressed in terms of
pseudo-instructions, gcc pseudo-instructions are different on i386 and
SPARC.  It would normally be appropriate to use a larger
-finline-limit on SPARC.

As I say, I doubt this is your problem.  I have no idea what your
problem is.  It's fairly unlikely that anybody can tell you what is
wrong here.

As was already suggested, try using a profiler to see where the hot
spots are in your slow version.  Perhaps gcc is egregiously
miscompiling something on SPARC.

Ian