Problems compiling gcc 2.7.2

Paulo Pinto paulo.pinto@cern.ch
Tue Apr 6 12:31:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

several years ago I developed a compiler that
generated bytecodes for a stack machine.

The code was then processed with NASM
using some macros and the runtime library
was developed in C.

I remember that at the time if I used gcc 2.7.2
I didn't had any problems. But if I used egcs
the code would run just fine and end with a
seg fault after returning from main().

I never cared much about it at the time because
egcs had just appeared in the scene and
the generated code run just fine with gcc 2.7.2.

Now a friend asked me for this compiler and
I've discover that with the latest versions of
egcs I still have the same problem as before.

So I've decided to install gcc 2.7.2 to see if
it would generate correct code for my compiler.

But gcc does not compile this old version.

I get the following error message:

cc -c  -DIN_GCC   -g     -I. -I. -I./config bc-emit.c
In file included from bc-emit.c:948:
bc-typecd.def: In function `bc_emit_instruction':
bc-typecd.def:17: `SFtype' is promoted to `double' when passed through `...'
bc-typecd.def:17: (so you should pass `double' not `SFtype' to `va_arg')
make: *** [bc-emit.o] Error 1

Does anyone have any idea?

TIA,
Paulo